Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost HD space after erasing boot camp partition

I know this has been asked before but it seems there are different solutions depending on the cause of the problem and the hardware.

I am running an imac retina 5K 3,3GHz with 2 TB storage space.

After updating to High Sierra I was unable to boot in my windows partition so I decided to try and delete it and re-partition the harddrive and re-install windows.

However, after erasing the partition ( I believe I did it in disk utilities) my hard drive space on lists as 1,6TB and not 2 TB.

Below is a dump of "diskutil list" in terminal. Recovery HD is 512GB which seems very high and corresponds well with the size of the partition I tried to erase. How do I recover my lost HD space?

User uploaded file

Also in disk utilities the 512GB appear greyed out in the pie chart but inaccessible as shown below

User uploaded file

Hope you guys can help me out!

Thanks in advance.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:17 AM

9 replies

Dec 11, 2017 8:45 AM in response to kampster73

kampster73 wrote:

1. Can I make the back up now using time machine to an external storage device of my choice (as I haven't used time machine previously) or should I have made the backup prior to my bootcamp incident?

Yes, you can create a backup now, to an external disk. See Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support as a reference.

kampster73 wrote:

2. How do I go about erasing both underlying disks?

This is done in Internet Recovery. You boot your Mac using Command+Opt+R - About macOS Recovery - Apple Support . I can provide detailed steps, but you will need to use diskutil Terminal commands.

Dec 11, 2017 8:35 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

Thanks for the reply.

However as a PC convert I just need to clarify a few things.

1. Can I make the back up now using time machine to an external storage device of my choice (as I haven't used time machine previously) or should I have made the backup prior to my bootcamp incident?

2. How do I go about erasing both underlying disks?

I apologize in advance for being a mac newbie!

Lost HD space after erasing boot camp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.