Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I had to get a new phone yesterday but my sons text message from his phone are coming in through mine. This happened once before but I don’t recall what needed to be done

iPhone 7

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 6:57 AM

8 replies

Dec 11, 2017 7:41 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I know we traditionally recommend individual Apple ID's, I'll go on record saying we still share the same Apple ID in my house. Other than co-mingled contacts (which is not a problem for us) there really aren't any issues we've ever experienced from having the same ID. To be honest, as a parent, I'd want my kid to share my ID. As a parent, I'd want to know who my kid had as contacts.

Dec 11, 2017 7:46 AM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:

I know we traditionally recommend individual Apple ID's, I'll go on record saying we still share the same Apple ID in my house. Other than co-mingled contacts (which is not a problem for us) there really aren't any issues we've ever experienced from having the same ID. To be honest, as a parent, I'd want my kid to share my ID. As a parent, I'd want to know who my kid had as contacts.

There certainly is a case to be made for that. And, for you probably understand all the ramifications of sharing. For people who don't, it seems to lead to a great deal of frustration. The thread about shared call logs springs to mind.

And, even if you share an Apple ID, the kid can still add contacts to another account. 😉

Dec 11, 2017 8:22 AM in response to lobsterghost1

rbrylawski wrote:

Yep, a kid could do that. But again as a parent, especially if I'm a paying for the phone, that kid would hand over the phone on a regular basis so I could see what they've got stored in it.

I agree. But, that's oddly, the thing a lot of parents don't want to do. They want to avoid the "confrontation". Is it really possible to do a good job parenting without getting confrontational, at least occasionally? Put one more tick in the I'm glad I decided not to have them column.

Dec 11, 2017 8:33 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

rbrylawski wrote:

Yep, a kid could do that. But again as a parent, especially if I'm a paying for the phone, that kid would hand over the phone on a regular basis so I could see what they've got stored in it.

I agree. But, that's oddly, the thing a lot of parents don't want to do. They want to avoid the "confrontation". Is it really possible to do a good job parenting without getting confrontational, at least occasionally? Put one more tick in the I'm glad I decided not to have them column.

Me too!!

I had to get a new phone yesterday but my sons text message from his phone are coming in through mine. This happened once before but I don’t recall what needed to be done

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.