Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble connecting to wi-fi

My MacBook, currently running 10.13.1, High Sierra, inconsistently refuses to connect to wi-fi. My iPad and phone connect fine, so I don't think it's my router or modem. I had my ISP come out to check the modem. The snow cone shows all the bars. I took it to the genius bar, where, of course, it functioned beautifully. I called tech support who guided me through some resets, which didn't help. It only happens about a third of the time. I can connect if I reboot, or even if I just go to the dock and turn the wi-fi off and then back on. The machine has done this ever since I bought it, some 18 months ago. I see a lot of discussion of this in the community--though most of it seems to be with OS--but I don't see any solutions showing up.

powerbook G4--15 inch, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:41 AM

The vast majority of Wi-Fi problems are caused by difficulties in your specific Wi-Fi environment, not by defects in your computer or its software.

To get an idea what your Wi-Fi environment looks like, hold down the option key while clicking on the Wi-Fi Icon on the menubar, and you get a snapshot like this older one:

User uploaded file

post a screenshot or answer these questions:

what is PHY mode and channel?

Transmit Rate?

RSSI or signal AND at what distance from Router?

How many networks are showing?

Note that also on that menu, there is an item named Network Diagnostics. It can be helpful for making some recommendations about your network, Monitoring your network while in use, and has some helpful displays available.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 7:41 AM in response to George Slanger1

The vast majority of Wi-Fi problems are caused by difficulties in your specific Wi-Fi environment, not by defects in your computer or its software.

To get an idea what your Wi-Fi environment looks like, hold down the option key while clicking on the Wi-Fi Icon on the menubar, and you get a snapshot like this older one:

User uploaded file

post a screenshot or answer these questions:

what is PHY mode and channel?

Transmit Rate?

RSSI or signal AND at what distance from Router?

How many networks are showing?

Note that also on that menu, there is an item named Network Diagnostics. It can be helpful for making some recommendations about your network, Monitoring your network while in use, and has some helpful displays available.

Dec 11, 2017 8:28 AM in response to George Slanger1

You are in the very busy and interference-prone 2.4GHz band. There are THREE clear channels for 802.11n in this band. Fastest baseband data rate is about 65Mbits/sec, and you are using two antennas to get about twice that rate. your signal of -43 less typical background noise at -80 leaves a very good signal-to noise of -37.

Thirteen other networks showing makes it impossible to establish and maintain a good fast connection in that band. If your Router is set to "automatic" channel selection, it has given up on the standard 1, 6, and 11, and moved to an overlapping channel on channel 10 (or perhaps you or the ISP technician deliberately moved it there).

If the ISP's Router does not provide the 5GHz band, you should seriously consider adding your own dual-band router, and networking with their or replacing their Router, like these setups:

User uploaded file

in this situation, Wirelessly extending an already hopelessly overloaded 2.4GHz network would not be possible, but a Roaming Network would help a lot.

Dec 11, 2017 8:34 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

lets take a look at what you have available to you, and the competition.

Hold down the Option key and click on the Wi-Fi Icon on the menuBar. Choose network diagnostics and stop.

From the window menu, choose Scan.

You get a report that looks something like this one.

User uploaded file

this is interesting to start to look at competition, but it does not show signal "spread" very well. For that, I like the presentation shown by the inexpensive Utility called WiFi Explorer:

User uploaded file

(drag and drop on Preview to see much larger)

Dec 11, 2017 8:51 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Very helpful, though marginally over my head. I do however, have a local techie (my son-in-law) who can help. I bought and installed my router, a Belkin. It is not from the ISP. The ISP tech, when he was here to check my modem, recommended a Netgear Nighthawk. He didn't think much of Belkin. I do have a router-extender, also by Belkin, and the Belkin tech helped me reset that, which did help a little. I've been postponing replacing the router, because of the expense, and because of the technical challenge of installing a new router. My current router DOES have a 5 MZ channel, called 90 a media, I think. The ISP tech told me I the the 2.4 MZ band would give me more range, and I the room where I do the most work IS, in fact, the room furtherest from the hub. I can certainly try the 5 MZ band, but it sounds like the long-range solution is to upgrade my router. As an interim step I can do this network diagnostics > scan step and see what that reveals. I am reassaured to know that my problem is not in my laptop. Thank you for taking the time to talk me through this.

Dec 11, 2017 9:04 AM in response to George Slanger1

You have very good signal strength. I would not hesitate to walk away from the noise of your neighbors and move to the 5GHz band.

With most Routers, you can force the issue by giving the 2.4GHz and the 5GHZ different network-names. Then you can selectively connect to the name you want to try.

Try it out before you spend the money on a new Router. Then look at it with the Option-Wi-Fi panel and see how it does. The Mac seems to see the 2.4GHz signal strength and connects you there, unless you take deliberate action to use 5GHz.

a newer Router would add 802.11ac, which uses even more antennas to get higher speeds. Most MacBooks that can run 10.13 can use 802.11ac.

trouble connecting to wi-fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.