Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use time capsule just for time machine

I have been using a time capsule as my wireless router and for time machine back ups. I recently replaced the time capsule as my router. My question is, can I still use it as a external hard drive for time machine backups? If so, would it work wirelessly connected to the existing network?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.4), late 2013

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:19 AM

3 replies

Dec 11, 2017 7:35 AM in response to jstbu

can I still use it as a external hard drive for time machine backups?

Yes

If so, would it work wirelessly connected to the existing network?

No, unless you have a very old version of AirPort Utility that might allow the Time Capsule to connect using wireless. Even if you could do this, it will take at least twice as much time for backups to occur, with twice as many chances of an error occurring in the process, so this type of setup would not be recommended.

Backups will probably work if you connect the Time Capsule to your existing wireless router using an Ethernet cable connection and then either ignore or turn off the wireless function the Time Capsule. We say that things will "probably" work because Apple frowns upon this type of setup, since they expect you to use the Time Capsule wireless for Time Machine backups.

Dec 11, 2017 7:50 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Okay, thanks, but I'm still lost. I connected the TC to my router, it shows up in the air port utility. Under 'wireless' I turned network mode to 'Off'. But I am not seeing what this has accomplished me. Time Machine doesn't find the TC. I would still like to use TM for back ups, but use the storage that the TC provides. Under 'Network' I turned Router Mode to 'Off (Bridge Mode)' But from here, how would time machine (on the iMac or MBPros) 'find' the TC to perform a TM backup?

Dec 11, 2017 8:06 AM in response to jstbu

Did you remember to change the settings to "point" your Mac to the Time Capsule as a backup destination in Time Machine Preferences?

If not, Time Machine is still remembering the "path" from your Mac to the Time Capsule for your old network setup, and you have changed the "location" of the Time Capsule on your network, so the Mac does not know where to find it.

Open Time Machine Preferences on your Mac (System Preferences > Time Machine) and delete the current setup for Time Machine by removing the Time Capsule disk.....likely called "Data"...... as the destination drive. Restart your Mac and set up Time Machine again.

Please remember that what you are attempting to do is not officially supported by Apple, so while it will probably work, there will be no support from Apple in the event of problems with the setup.

High Sierra has recently updated security on the Mac operating system, and we have seen some reports of "lost" Time Capsules as a result, so that might be a possibility as well.

Can I use time capsule just for time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.