Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

delete in progress Time machine file

I have a OS 10.3.1 High Sierra with a External Disk for Time Machine Backups.

Recently I was unable to finish my daily backup's due to a inprogress file in the External Disk.

I managed to deleted it and send it to the trash. But I'm unable to delete from Trash.

What is strange, is that the file only appears when the Disk is connected with USB and visible only in the trash.

If I remove the External disk, the file is no more visible in the trash. Now I'm not able to do my backups.

Any help on how to delete the file ?

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2018 2:00 AM

I solved it by erasing all the disk and the 'inprogress' file was than deleted.

After, I left the same external disk on Automatic Backup for all the night and it worked.

Using automatic Backup during the day, while working is not stable.

Now I'm back to my previous habit to backup every week during the night and it works on a simple backup as I did for multiple years.🙂

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2018 2:00 AM in response to hanrathtobias

I solved it by erasing all the disk and the 'inprogress' file was than deleted.

After, I left the same external disk on Automatic Backup for all the night and it worked.

Using automatic Backup during the day, while working is not stable.

Now I'm back to my previous habit to backup every week during the night and it works on a simple backup as I did for multiple years.🙂

Dec 11, 2017 10:34 AM in response to PJacques

Unfortunately, it is the best advice I know. There are some quite complicated possible solutions you can find here. Thanks to one of our senior contributors, Old Toad for hosting the late Pondini's site)

http://oldtoad.net/pondini.org/TM/E6.html

If it happens a third time, I'd say there may be a problem with the backup disk itself, in that case you'll need to use new disk.

Dec 12, 2017 1:28 AM in response to macjack

Thank you again for your help. Unfortunately OldToad suggestions didn't solved either.

I went through the erase disk with disk utility, but found a new partition on top of tree 'Disk2s1' with 32kb that is not accessible and unable to delete it. After erasing my TM partition, all was clear and started the Backup (110GB).

This morning, the Backup was not finished and I had again a inprogress file under the Backup folder.

I tried to erase all partitions creating a new one, but I comes to the same.

I think maybe it is time to change the 5y disk...

delete in progress Time machine file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.