Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone stolen

Had my iPhone 5s stolen but I can't track it as never find my enabled. Now my question is if I contact Apple can they block the phone as I have the IMEI number. I've cancelled everything with bank but I want to block the phone completely so no one can use it at all. I contacted my service provider who for some unknown reason blocked my rubbish 2nd phone instead of the iPhone so I don't even know if the correct phone is blocked.

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:27 AM

4 replies

Dec 14, 2017 3:24 AM in response to janev000

Apple can't do it since Find My iPhone was disabled. However, you may report your phone as stolen to your carrier and request them to block your device by providing proof that the phone is yours. Some geographical areas also require the device to be reported as stolen to the police & then a court verification from them to authorize the blocking of the device by the carrier.

Please check with your local law enforcement on the exact procedure to be followed.

As for the carrier disabling your other device, it must have that particular phone registered as your device on their system.

Dec 14, 2017 3:41 AM in response to janev000

Hi Janev000,

If find my iPhone has been activate it, you might be able to find out the whereabout of your iPhone.

Apple will not be able to do anything even with the IMEI as the kill switched is not (yet) been enforced...

In some countries (like in India) the telecommunication regulatory authorities have reached a level of technology that they can track and disable an smart phone just with the IMEI. In some countries GSM carrier, with a police report, do have the possibility to block the iPhone... but we haven't reached that level in many countries...

Smart phone is juicy business and manufacturers obviously are not so keen on seeing a kill switch regulation been adopted!

Get used to the idea that your iPhone might be gone forever, if you're in the US it might already be in South America...

That's the perfect opportunity to buy yourself a new iPhone... Lol 😉

Dec 14, 2017 6:35 AM in response to xmetienne

xmetienne wrote:

In some countries (like in India) the telecommunication regulatory authorities have reached a level of technology that they can track and disable an smart phone just with the IMEI. In some countries GSM carrier, with a police report, do have the possibility to block the iPhone... but we haven't reached that level in many countries...

Any cellular carrier can block from connecting to the network or track a cell phone through the IMEI (if the phone is turned on). I don't no of any carriers that won't disconnect the phone from the network if you call them.

It is not possible to disable the phone itself by IMEI the way Find My iPhone's Lock Mode does.

iPhone stolen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.