Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with finder after 10.13.2 update

After updating my computer with the new 10.13.2 OS, I am continually having to reboot my computer after the finder locks up. I can force quit the finder, but it never reopens. I tried restarting the computer, but it will not restart. I have to completely shutdown. It is happening continuously to the point I cannot work for more than 30 minutes at a time.

OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:54 AM

7 replies

Dec 11, 2017 9:31 AM in response to talismanstudio

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Jan 3, 2018 6:59 AM in response to talismanstudio

I am also having this issue. Finder will lock up while moving folders, copying, or even simply creating a new folder and trying to name it. Once finder locks up, my Adobe programs will one-by-one start freezing. After I try to relaunch Finder, it closes and does not allow me to reopen it. I am only left with the option of 'restarting' the computer.

Restarting does not even work. It takes me to a fake black screen and I am forced to do a hard shut off, by holding the power button, the turning the computer back on.

These problems happened all day yesterday, and are already starting today. How is anyone supposed to get any work done!?

problems with finder after 10.13.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.