Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music library not appearing on iPhone

My Apple Music songs and playlists aren't appearing inside the Music app (iPhone 7 iOS 11.2).

Songs that I've purchased through iTunes continue to appear.

I've tried turning iTunes Music Library off and on again but it hasn't worked.

I've also tried leaving iTunes Music Library on and waiting for it to do something but nothing has happened after a few hours.

My Apple Music library seems to be working fine on my MacBook and is updating as usual, with all my playlists and added songs/albums appearing as they should.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 11:27 AM

Hi Jeremy

Thank you for your advice.

After doing what you said, the library still wasn't showing up correctly.

I tried one more time turning iTunes Music Library off and on but slightly differently this time:

1. Open Settings > Music
  2. Turn off iTunes Music Library
  3. Turn off Show Apple Music
  4. Go into the Music app, the tab bar should now show Connect (wasn't there before)
  5. Turn on iTunes Music Library
  6. Go into the Music app, in playlists there is now a loading icon
  7. Turn on Show Apple Music
  8. Go into the Music app, all the playlists/songs/albums/etc are being loaded back in

Somehow this worked. I'm not sure how but everything is back to normal now.

Thank you again

Side note:

I also turned on Mobile Data (Settings > Music > Mobile Data) for updating library and artwork (leaving streaming and downloads off) but I'm not sure what impact this had. I did try using multiple different networks when attempting to make it work.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 11:27 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy

Thank you for your advice.

After doing what you said, the library still wasn't showing up correctly.

I tried one more time turning iTunes Music Library off and on but slightly differently this time:

1. Open Settings > Music
  2. Turn off iTunes Music Library
  3. Turn off Show Apple Music
  4. Go into the Music app, the tab bar should now show Connect (wasn't there before)
  5. Turn on iTunes Music Library
  6. Go into the Music app, in playlists there is now a loading icon
  7. Turn on Show Apple Music
  8. Go into the Music app, all the playlists/songs/albums/etc are being loaded back in

Somehow this worked. I'm not sure how but everything is back to normal now.

Thank you again

Side note:

I also turned on Mobile Data (Settings > Music > Mobile Data) for updating library and artwork (leaving streaming and downloads off) but I'm not sure what impact this had. I did try using multiple different networks when attempting to make it work.

Dec 12, 2017 11:27 AM in response to fernb002

Good afternoon fernb002,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

If the Apple Music playlists showing in iTunes on your Mac don't appear on your iPhone, take a look at the resource below for iCloud Music Library:

Turn on iCloud Music Library

If you don't see your content on all of your devices

On the computer that contains your original music library, make sure that you're signed in to iTunes with the Apple ID that you use for your Apple Music membership and have iCloud Music Library turned on. Then, from the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or the top of the iTunes window, choose File > Library > Update iCloud Music Library.

Take care.

Jan 5, 2018 3:58 AM in response to jeremy_v

I have the same problem ever since updating my iPhone X to the latest iOS.

I can add songs from Apple Music to my iTunes library on my computer just fine, however the songs do not automatically add/download to my iPhone library like they used to do. Updating iCloud Music Library on iTunes does nothing (except for every now and then marking my Apple Music tracks with an error, and then I have to sign out and sign back in for them to go back to normal).

On my iPhone I have iCloud Music Library turned on, as well as automatic downloads in every place. The only way I can get the newly added tracks to show up in my Music app on my phone is to turn off iCloud Music Library, then turn it on again. Problem is I then have to re-download hundreds of songs back onto my iPhone. When I have to do this nearly every day, it makes me want to switch to Spotify.

This has to be a bug in the latest iOS??

Apple music library not appearing on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.