Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to back up files when replacing speakers 15" 2010 MacBook Pro - will taking out the logic board delete files (most files are in Mail Mailboxes)?

Need to replace speakers 2010 15" McBook Pro.

Will disconnecting the logic board delete files from my computer? Most files/photos/etc. are stored in Mail Mailboxes. If so, can I and how do I back up these files? There is a Time Machine, but I've never used it. Can it back up everything in Mailboxes?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 6:24 PM

If you are not currently using Time Machine for backups, then it will not help you with restoring any should you need them. However, with Time Machine, if you change out the system board, Time Machine will treat this as a "new" computer and start a whole new backup so it may not serve you well here.

Just taking out and replacing your Mac's system board shouldn't be an issue, but replacing it with another could. You have a few options, if your current data is critical to you, BEFORE you open up your Mac:

1. Clone your Mac's internal system drive with a utility, like Carbon Copy Cloner to an external drive.
  2. Copy just your Mailboxes to an external drive. Ref: How to Find Where Mac OS X Mail Stores Your Emails - Lifewire
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 6:24 PM in response to GAFL

If you are not currently using Time Machine for backups, then it will not help you with restoring any should you need them. However, with Time Machine, if you change out the system board, Time Machine will treat this as a "new" computer and start a whole new backup so it may not serve you well here.

Just taking out and replacing your Mac's system board shouldn't be an issue, but replacing it with another could. You have a few options, if your current data is critical to you, BEFORE you open up your Mac:

1. Clone your Mac's internal system drive with a utility, like Carbon Copy Cloner to an external drive.
  2. Copy just your Mailboxes to an external drive. Ref: How to Find Where Mac OS X Mail Stores Your Emails - Lifewire

Do I need to back up files when replacing speakers 15" 2010 MacBook Pro - will taking out the logic board delete files (most files are in Mail Mailboxes)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.