Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SD card not writable from finder

Hi,

I have a Macbook pro 13 inch from 2013. I have a SD card permanent in the SD slot. I use this to store PDF documents and stuff. I have updated MacOS to high sierra 10.13.1. Since then i am not able to write on that SD card via finder. I can save documents when i am in an application and press "save as" and browse to the SD card. I can also copy files from with the cp command in terminal. When i request the permissions via an ls -al the permissions are rwx so this seems ok.

Does any one know how to solve this or what has caused this?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 12:58 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. During creating this messages I noticed that there was an update available. I installed the latest version of high Sierra and that solved the issue.

Your steps I’ve tried before but didn’t workout.

To recap

So the software update solved my is

3 replies

Dec 12, 2017 12:55 PM in response to robinmom

Hey there, Robin!

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. From your post, I understand that you are having trouble writing documents to your SD Card from Finder. I'm happy to help!

Based on what you've described, I would recommend turning the computer off by clicking the Apple  menu > Restart.... Once the computer is off, eject your SD Card from the slot, then restart your computer by pressing the power button.

Once the computer is back on, relaunch Finder: Select the Apple  menu > Force quit > Finder > Relaunch. Then reinsert your SD Card and attempt to save files to it from Finder.

If you are still unable to save files, the next recommendation I can make is to check the SD Card's permissions, using the steps found here: macOS Sierra: Set permissions for items on your Mac .

Should the permissions have read and write set properly and still won't let you save from Finder, I would next suggest trying to do so from safe mode. More information on safe mode, such as how it can be helpful and how to boot to it, can be found here: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support .

Cheers!

SD card not writable from finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.