Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compass not working

Just got my new iPhone X and the compass does not work and my Sky Guide app which uses the compass does not work. I have done two erase all content and settings reboot and no change.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 9:35 AM

6 replies

Dec 11, 2017 9:51 AM in response to mhibsch

If you compass app is opening up properly but directions do not seem to match your known surroundings of N,E,W,S then you may need to initialize or orientate the compass itself. With the phone held horizontally in front of you, rotate the phone slowly through a full 360 degree turn 3 times. If the compass was not already initialized you should see the bars making up the circle change until they are all lighted. Also, remember while initializing and using a compass app or a real hand held compass that the compass can be influenced by a nearby magnet. I have had hand held compasses that were thrown off while using if I had my wrist watch on my arm while holding the compass. See if your app works outside away from masses of metal.

Good luck'

Dec 11, 2017 10:28 AM in response to mhibsch

With compass app open I have my correct location with Lat/Long & elevation. It shows the compass rose but the bubble does not move when phone is moved. When you press on the screen the numbers light up & when you press the screen again the numbers go dim but that's all it will do.

Location Services are on and I have a purple arrow that shows the app is using my location.

I have tried turning the phone 3 times but nothing.

The level app that is in the compass app works just fine.

Dec 11, 2017 2:50 PM in response to mhibsch

I asked about the name of the app because I have two different devices running iOS 11.1.2 with slightly different names for the compass app that came with the system.

Have you shut your phone all the way off and then restarted it yet? If not, that is the next thing to try.

Since I do not have an iPhone X of my own to experiment with, I am the end of the suggestions I can offer.

Compass not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.