Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing - Ask to Buy

How do I turn on "ask to buy" for a child if the setting doesn't exist for that child under family sharing?

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 10:15 AM

2 replies

Dec 12, 2017 5:35 PM in response to hugonater

Hi hugonater,

I understand that you're trying to turn on "Ask to Buy" for a family member, but that option doesn't appear for them. I'm happy to provide some help for this.

You can only enable "Ask to Buy" for a family member that isn't an adult. This means that if your child's account shows that they are older than 18, you will not be able to turn on this feature for them. You can read more about this below:

Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support

Turn on Ask to Buy

The family organizer can turn on Ask to Buy for any family member who isn't an adult. It's on by default for any children under 13, and you'll be asked to set up Ask to Buy when inviting anyone under 18 to your family group.*

Use these steps to turn Ask to Buy on or off for family members who are under 18* in your family group. If you turn off Ask to Buy for a family member after they turn 18,* you can't turn it on again.

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

1. Go to Settings > [your name] and tap Family Sharing. If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud and tap Family.
  2. Tap your family member's name.
  3. Tap Ask to Buy.

Mac

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud.
  2. Click Manage Family and select your family member's name.
  3. Select Ask to Buy.

If you created your child's account using Apple ID for Students, you can use Ask to Buy for personal purchases outside of the educational institution. It won't apply to any apps or other content distributed by the school.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Family Sharing - Ask to Buy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.