Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting an Office App as default, other than Pages, Numbers etc

How do I set an 'Office' type app (such as OnlyOffice) as my default, instead of Pages, Numbers?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015), iOS 11.2, n/a

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 11:51 AM

Hi Bob,

Much easier question, then.

Select any .docxfile.

Press command-I to get Info

In the info window, go to Open with.

Click the disclosure triangle if needed.

User uploaded file

Click on the pop-up menu.

Choose OnlyOffice from the list.

Click the checkbox that appears beside "Use this application to open all…"

Repeat with one file of each type: .doc, .xlsx, .xls, etc.

EDIT: Oops. Just looked at the list above—Excel file formats seem to be missing. If OnlyOffice is not listed in the Open with menu, you won't be able to choose it.

Regard,

Barry

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 11:51 AM in response to bob.m

Hi Bob,

Much easier question, then.

Select any .docxfile.

Press command-I to get Info

In the info window, go to Open with.

Click the disclosure triangle if needed.

User uploaded file

Click on the pop-up menu.

Choose OnlyOffice from the list.

Click the checkbox that appears beside "Use this application to open all…"

Repeat with one file of each type: .doc, .xlsx, .xls, etc.

EDIT: Oops. Just looked at the list above—Excel file formats seem to be missing. If OnlyOffice is not listed in the Open with menu, you won't be able to choose it.

Regard,

Barry

Dec 11, 2017 10:44 AM in response to bob.m

Hi Bob,

Define: "as my default"

What do you want this application to do 'as your default'?

If you want it to be the application launched when a .pages or ,numbers file is double-clicked, that can probably be done.

If you want it to be launched AND to open the double-clicked document, that may not be possible.

OnlyOffice does not list .pages or .numbers as a supported file format, which sems to rule it out as the default application to open files created by those applications (or by Keynote) and saved in their native format. (LibreOffice does open many documents created by the iWork applications, with accuracy of the copy depending on which features used in the Pages or Numbers document are supported or can be translated to work in the opening application.)

From the OnlyOffice website:

Supported file formats:

DOC Filename extension for word processing documents created with Microsoft Word
DOCX Office Open XML
Zipped, XML-based file format developed by Microsoft for representing spreadsheets, charts, presentations, and word processing documents
ODT Word processing file format of OpenDocument, an open standard for electronic documents
RTF Rich Text Format
Document file format developed by Microsoft for cross-platform document interchange
TXT Filename extension for text files usually containing very little formatting
PDF Portable Document Format
File format used to represent documents in a manner independent of application software, hardware, and operating systems
HTML HyperText Markup Language
The main markup language for web pages
EPUB Electronic Publication
Free and open e-book standard created by the International Digital Publishing Forum
XPS Open XML Paper Specification
Open royalty-free fixed-layout document format developed by Microsoft
DjVu File format designed primarily to store scanned documents, especially those containing a combination of text, line drawings, and photographs

Regards,

Barry

Dec 11, 2017 11:00 AM in response to Barry

I should have answered your first question. As 'my default' I want to use something other than the iWorks apps when I want to open a 'doc' or 'xls' type file. Reason: I don't know the iWorks apps, never liked them and never learned them. I basically use Google Docs/Drive for most everything I need to do and like their simplicity, quick access (from anywhere, etc). I don't think GoogleDocs could be used as my 'default'. But for certain things, when I need a bit more power, or want to keep a file locally on my iMac for some reason, I want to have something like OnlyOffice or Libre Office (happen to prefer the former at this point) and want such files to open in one of those apps by default, automatically. I also checked out Zoho Docs but, not so much. Paying for MS Offie is not in my software budget.

Thanks again, Barry, for your able help.

Bob

Setting an Office App as default, other than Pages, Numbers etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.