Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi turns on automatically by itself now with the new update

Ever since I have updated to the newest software version I can no long turn my wifi off and it stay off. I try the on my old phone that I only use for music anymore. No matter if I shut it off in settings or not. Any suggestions?

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 9:58 AM

5 replies

Dec 11, 2017 10:03 AM in response to Jenn7024

That's correct and by design. If you want to turn Wifi off completely, go to Settings > Wifi and turn it off there or simply say, "hey Siri, turn off Wifi." There really is no reason to EVER turn off Wifi in the first place. What Apple did was finally create a facility within Control Center where you can quickly disconnect from Wifi or Bluetooth without turning off the radios completely. This is a very useful feature once you get used to it.

Dec 11, 2017 10:14 AM in response to Jenn7024

It's a complete misnomer that the Wifi radio drains the battery. Don't let that little spinning circle fool you. The Wifi radio uses very little power. What uses power is your cellular radio, but not the Wifi radio.

More importantly however, if when you go to Settings > Wifi and turn Wifi off does not turn Wifi off, you have a defective iPhone and you need to schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar for evaluation.

Wifi turns on automatically by itself now with the new update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.