Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone Timestamp iOS MacOS

Hello all,

I might have a strange problem, i write might, because i am not sure if this is meant to be, or if its a bug.

My problem revolves around timestamps on pictures taken on vacation.

I recently visited Dubai on vacation, and i took some pictures with my Iphone. All the time the phone was connected to the local wifi or cellular network. So the geo data and time was correct.

After arriving to my hometown in Sweden, i noticed that the time showed correct local time inside my iPhone, but when looking at the exact same picture on my mac, it was adjusted to my local time here in Sweden.

This seems very strange, i am more interested knowing when the picture was taken localy, not when it was taken according to the time where i am currently being, while watching the photo.

Is this by design, or am i doing something wrong?

And if it is by design, does anyone know the reasoning behind shifting the timestamp depending on where i am, when watching the photos?

Please advise if this is normal or not?

Best regards

Fredrik

iPhone 6, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 10:48 AM

2 replies

Dec 12, 2017 6:48 AM in response to fnstrom

Hi fnstrom,

It appears that once you have imported the photos you have taken while in Dubai, the date and time of when those photos were taken have changed from when the actual photo was taken in Dubai time to your local time in Sweden. I'll be happy to provide some information on this.

Add titles, descriptions, and more to photos​

Change a Photo's date and time

You can change the date and time associated with a photo. You might want to do this to add date and time information to scanned photos, or if you travel to a location in another time zone, and your camera assigns your photos dates and times that are correct for your home, but not the place you visited.

1. Select the photos you want to change.
  2. Choose Image > Adjust Date and Time.
  3. Enter the date and time you want in the Adjusted field.
  4. Click a time zone on the map and choose the closest city, if necessary.
  5. Click Adjust.
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Have a great day!

Dec 13, 2017 12:16 AM in response to rose_10

Hello Sarah, and thank you for your reply, was worried no one would see my predicament.

But the strange thing for me, is that the timestamp on the photo, differs, dependning on if i look at the photo in my iphone, or my mac?

My iphone shows the correct local time, and my mac shows the correct swedish time, when the picture was taken.

So so strange. For example, if i took the picture in Dubai at 12:00, the phone shows it was taken at 12:00, but when i look at the same picture on my mac, it shows 15:00 "3:00 pm"

Dubai is +3 hours ahead of us in Sweden.

If its supposed to be like this, i just have to live with it, but it seems strange that the system chooses to show me different times depending on which device i use, and where i am in the world.

Are you with me how i mean?

Iphone Timestamp iOS MacOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.