Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Fetch > Automatically in iPhone in Settings > accounts and passwords?

In iPhone Settings > accounts and passwords (for iOS 11), I found this puzzling setting.

Is Fetch > automatically the same as Push?. How does it work with Google Contacts, Gmail, etc?

User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2018 7:56 AM

If I understand this feature correctly, Fetch Automatically is not the same as push. Normally you set a time interval (I have mine set to 30 min), so mail will request updates (or Fetch them) from the email servers I use every 30 minutes. If you choose “Automatically”, your mail app will still Fetch updates from your email providers servers, but it will only do this when your device is plugged in and on Wi-Fi (both conditions must be met). I usually only plug my phone in at bedtime, so if I chose this option, my mail app would only Fetch updates once a day (at bedtime, when my phone is both on Wi-Fi and plugged in. This option would save a lot of data transfer and battery power compared to fetching on a timer, but would also mean I wouldn’t receive important emails throughout the day, but instead would only get them once a day at bedtime. Honestly, I don’t know anyone who would be able to use this feature on a regular basis, but I can perhaps see the advantage if traveling overseas where data charges can be quite expensive. This option would prevent cellular data Fetch, and would only Fetch over Wi-Fi (no data charges on Wi-Fi). Other than this type of travel situation, I can’t think of any other time I would use this.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2018 7:56 AM in response to AntonioMS

If I understand this feature correctly, Fetch Automatically is not the same as push. Normally you set a time interval (I have mine set to 30 min), so mail will request updates (or Fetch them) from the email servers I use every 30 minutes. If you choose “Automatically”, your mail app will still Fetch updates from your email providers servers, but it will only do this when your device is plugged in and on Wi-Fi (both conditions must be met). I usually only plug my phone in at bedtime, so if I chose this option, my mail app would only Fetch updates once a day (at bedtime, when my phone is both on Wi-Fi and plugged in. This option would save a lot of data transfer and battery power compared to fetching on a timer, but would also mean I wouldn’t receive important emails throughout the day, but instead would only get them once a day at bedtime. Honestly, I don’t know anyone who would be able to use this feature on a regular basis, but I can perhaps see the advantage if traveling overseas where data charges can be quite expensive. This option would prevent cellular data Fetch, and would only Fetch over Wi-Fi (no data charges on Wi-Fi). Other than this type of travel situation, I can’t think of any other time I would use this.

Dec 11, 2017 11:42 AM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax wrote:

Apple explains that option at the very bottom of the screen.

Fetch is not the same as Push. With the former, your iPhone is requesting that the data be sent to it. With the latter, your iPhone will receive data when Apple decides to send it to you.

Just for clarification, shouldn't that read "your iPhone will received data when the email provider decides to send it to you"? I was under the impression that Push was controlled by the email provider who is not always Apple. Or have I misunderstood?

Dec 11, 2017 11:59 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for your answer, but you haven't answered my question.

I've googled for this new setting in iOS 11 and all I could find is that, apparently, Fetch > Automatically would do something similar to Push (i.e.: the Apple servers would send a new contact, email, etc to your iPhone ASAP upon receiving it) if on power and WIFI.

What does it do exactly then? does it poll Apple servers every few seconds? The iOS 11 user guide doesn't explain this, by what I could see.

Dec 11, 2017 12:05 PM in response to AntonioMS

I'll try to break down the process more finely. Fetch causes the phone to go and ask a server if there is anything new. It does that at whatever time interval you specify (e.g., 15 minutes).

With Push, the server sends a Notification to the phone that new information (email, contacts, etc) is available. The phone then asks the server for the updated information. So Push and Fetch are similar; with Fetch the clock determines when to check for new data; with Push a Notification prompts the phone to check for new data, which it usually does immediately.

Dec 11, 2017 12:22 PM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax wrote:

At present, I haven't seen anything from Apple that fully describes these options, so I won't be able to answer your question "officially."

However, there are numerous article on the Internet if you do a search. One example is:

New Data in iOS 11: Push or Fetch in iPhone, iPad - howtoisolve.com

Thanks! That's an interesting read.

(And I know I can get a bit detail fussy!)

What is Fetch > Automatically in iPhone in Settings > accounts and passwords?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.