Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini won't boot. Disk utility shows ram issue.

I can not boot into safe mode at all. I can not find any start up drive, when I plug in my external drive, and click, it goes right to disk utility. I get the flashing question mark. I took out the ram (2 8gb sticks) rearranged/reseated them. Could it really be that the 2 sticks of ram suddenly went bad? Or is this actually a hard drive issue? Thank you

iWeb '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 12:23 PM

10 replies

Dec 11, 2017 1:11 PM in response to pmd892

A RAM issue will yield beep sounds the second you try to power it on. A folder with a question mark indicates a hard drive issue. Either something is going on with the hard drive itself, the hard drive cable, which your Mac Mini doesn't have so you can rule that out, or no operating system. If it can boot into recovery mode by holding Cmd + R at startup, try reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work, it is most likely a hard drive issue.

Plus, I don't believe Disk Utility will show issues with the RAM. I believe all it manages is the hard drive itself.

Best of luck!

Dec 11, 2017 1:57 PM in response to macjack

Disk Utility is giving me an error message 4MEM/61/40000000 0X7C1E5990, which when I researched I thought meant bad ram. It would never boot into safe mode, not once. It also will not load from my external drive. That's why I thought maybe it was the ram, and not a falling hard drive. I took out the 2 sticks of ram and tried each separately, switching slots etc.

Mac mini won't boot. Disk utility shows ram issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.