Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i find and eliminate duplicates in Photos?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 10.3.3, High Sierra

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 1:02 PM

4 replies

Dec 11, 2017 4:06 PM in response to jlincoln04078b

Yes. These applications will identify and help remove duplicate photos from a Photos Library:

PowerPhotos is the iPhoto Library Manager version for Photos and is very powerful. Although more expensive I would recommend it as it has more capabilities than the others like the capability to merge Photos libraries or copy photos along with their metadata between libraries.

PhotoSweeper compares bitmaps and/or histograms so it can detect duplicate images even if they have different sizes, file names, sizes and capture dates.

User uploaded file

Dec 12, 2017 9:28 AM in response to jlincoln04078b

Now I just have to decide and then execute

I rarely use PowerPhotos to search for duplicates, but I could not do without it. I need it to sort photos by size or by filename, or as a second browser window, when working with Photos.

It will depend on the kind of duplicates you are looking for, Are your photos exact duplicates - the same file imported multiple times, or edited versions of the same photo? If you imported different versions of the same photo, then you will need Photo Sweeper.

In all other cases, I second OT's recommendation of Power Photos.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.