Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing Music and Photos after Migration Assistant

I used migration assistant from my 2014 era Macbook pro to my current 2017 macbook pro. It appears that files have transfered as I only have 45 GB left on my hard drive. However, when I open photos I receive the error message: "Photos cannot find the System Photo Library named “Photos Library.photoslibrary”" and when I open itunes I have no music in my library. When I click on the "other folder" option for photos it takes me no where... I have no options for other folders. It definitely appears that my transfer has worked....but how do I access the files?

My questions are:

1. How do I access my photos and update my photos library?

2. How do I access my music and update my iTunes library?

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 12:57 PM

1 reply

Dec 12, 2017 12:35 PM in response to hcg0509

Hi hcg0509,

I understand that you've used Migration Assistant to transfer data to your new MacBook Pro, but Photos and iTunes are unable to find their respective libraries. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

For your Photos library, I recommend using the steps in the article below to open the library that was transferred:

Designate a System Photo Library in Photos - Apple Support
Then you can use the steps in the following article to do the same for iTunes:
Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support
Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Accessing Music and Photos after Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.