Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 2 - Digital Crown Unresponcive

I have an Apple Watch Series 2 and the digital crown will register clicks but will not register scrolling. It acts as if it is scrolling back and forth rapidly. I have tried erasing all content and settings, unpairing, re-pairing, pairing to a new iPhone, washing out dust and debris from behind the digital crown, and doing a hard restart. One last vital piece if information that I think is pertinent to this is the fact that this all began directly after upgrading to watchOS4.2

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 2:02 AM

Given the steps that you have already tried and given that Apple has already inspected your Apple Watch and advised you that it has a defective display, I suggest that you follow Apple's advice and arrange the recommended service.

Apple Watch is not user serviceable. Apple does not sell spare parts and neither the screen nor the Digital Crown should be replaced separately. Your Apple Watch should instead be replaced on a whole unit basis, whether under warranty, under AppleCare+ or via chargeable, out-of-warranty service, depending on the service options that Apple has advised are available to you.

To arrange service, either contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 2:02 AM in response to CBrown36

Given the steps that you have already tried and given that Apple has already inspected your Apple Watch and advised you that it has a defective display, I suggest that you follow Apple's advice and arrange the recommended service.

Apple Watch is not user serviceable. Apple does not sell spare parts and neither the screen nor the Digital Crown should be replaced separately. Your Apple Watch should instead be replaced on a whole unit basis, whether under warranty, under AppleCare+ or via chargeable, out-of-warranty service, depending on the service options that Apple has advised are available to you.

To arrange service, either contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider:

Dec 11, 2017 3:50 PM in response to CBrown36

Hi there,

I'd like to help you get your Apple Watch's Digital Crown functioning as expected, the Digital Crown is vital to the watchOS 4 experience, so I would understand your concern.

As you have said you have restored the Apple Watch, unpaired it and attempted to clean out the Watch, I recommend you service your Apple Watch online with Apple, or with an Authorized Apple Reseller. If you're Watch is still im Liited One Year Warranty or Apple Care +, your repair should be free of charge, however you'd have to check with Apple before your repair if you are wondering about pricing.

To answer your question, this is most-likely a hardware issue with your Apple Watch and the latest watchOS 4.2 update would not have made your Digital Crown not functional.

Information about Apple Watch Servicing & Repair can be found using the link provided below:

Contact Apple Support - Product Support- Apple

Should you need further assistance, I will be more than happy to assist you.

Happy Holidays and I hope this is not too much stress on you,

Vis

Apple Watch Series 1, Space Grey 42mm

Dec 11, 2017 3:57 PM in response to visberry

Hey Vis,

Thank you for the reply. I took this to the Apple store yesterday and they tried to tell me it was an issue with the screen. I wasn't buying that because when the watch is functioning for a bout 30 seconds at a time, the screen functions with no problems. I'm confident that thisis an issue with the Digital Crown.

Any thoughts on how to repair or have the crown repaired or replaced? Without spending more than the watch is worth?

Apple Watch Series 2 - Digital Crown Unresponcive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.