Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I need an iTunes Media (Music) Folder?

I am just wondering why I need the automatically created iTunes Media Folder. I have just organised and tagged the raw mp3 files in my Music Folder on my C: Drive (so they make sense when listening to music not via an Apple product); when I add these files to my iTunes Library, they are copied into this iTunes Media Folder as duplicates.

I understand that I need it for music bought from iTunes and for CD tracks ripped straight onto iTunes but is it necessary to have automatically duplicated tracks in there, as mentioned above.

I hope that made some kind of sense, and hopefully somebody will be able to clarify things.

Thanks,

Danny

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 12:50 PM

Uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder ..." option in Edit > Preferences > Advanced. This will prevent media files being duplicated, as you describe. Note, though, that by doing so you'll end up with your iTunes library's content distributed across multiple locations, making it more difficult to maintain a backup of your library or to transfer it to another PC.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 12:50 PM in response to Holbzz

Uncheck the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder ..." option in Edit > Preferences > Advanced. This will prevent media files being duplicated, as you describe. Note, though, that by doing so you'll end up with your iTunes library's content distributed across multiple locations, making it more difficult to maintain a backup of your library or to transfer it to another PC.

Why do I need an iTunes Media (Music) Folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.