Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The document “LumaPixSetup (2).pkg” could not be opened. Installer cannot open files in the “Installer package” format.

I get an error message when I download a software email attachment. It says .The document “LumaPixSetup (2).pkg” could not be opened. Installer cannot open files in the “Installer package” format. How do I fix this?

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 4:28 PM

2 replies

Dec 12, 2017 7:15 PM in response to PMP2017

Ensure that send windows-only files is turned off under ‘’mail” app-do a get info( command & I keys) while clicking on the file in question. A box should appear. Where it says ‘ open with’ , choose installer and close the window. Double click on the file again and it should open, if you’re still stuck, try downloading the file from the company’s website through your browser( either safari, Firefox, whatever-should be there under downloads from within the browser itself

Hope this helps you a bit- if not post back here

John B

Dec 12, 2017 7:37 PM in response to PMP2017

Is it possible this download is not signed with a developer certificate? If you are completely confident of what is in the package, open:

System preferences > Security&Privacy > General ...

... and leave it open while you try to run Installer on the package. If this is the ONLY issue, you will get a chance to click (Open Anyway) in that panel and proceed.

The document “LumaPixSetup (2).pkg” could not be opened. Installer cannot open files in the “Installer package” format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.