Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change Quicktime Player's default export settings?

Can you change Quicktime Player's default export settings? I want to screen record some of my lectures and tutorials, but I don't have a ton of space on my hard drive. I purchased an external hard drive that I would like to have Quicktime default to export versus taking up space on my iMac. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

iMac, iOS 11

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 3:52 PM

1 reply

Dec 11, 2017 7:12 PM in response to Comarata

Can you change Quicktime Player's default export settings? I want to screen record some of my lectures and tutorials, but I don't have a ton of space on my hard drive. I purchased an external hard drive that I would like to have Quicktime default to export versus taking up space on my iMac. Any suggestions?

I don't believe the "scratch" file target location can be changed at the user Finder level nor are aliases recognized on any "recent" macOS version but the "Save," "Export," and "Close" File menu options all open a Finder "Navigation" window that allows the user to save or export the scratch file to an external drive or you can simply drag 'n drop the scratch file to any target drive location that is "visible" to the desktop before closing/quitting the recording. If you want to reset the default "scratch" storage location, you will likely have to use a third-party screen recorder having such a preference option.

User uploaded file

change Quicktime Player's default export settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.