Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TEXT TO SPEECH ONE LETTER AT A TIME

Is there an app that will read text aloud to me one letter at a time? In other words spell the text for me?

RonHarsh

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 4:59 PM

2 replies

Dec 11, 2017 6:13 PM in response to RonHarsh

you could use apple script to do this. can you describe how you would want this to work?

Launch AppleScript and create a new document. Then paste this into the new document and save it.

tell application “Finder"

set theTextToSpeak to text returned of (display dialog "What text do you want me to say?" default answer "text to speak.”)

repeat with aCharacter in theTextToSpeak

set theCmd to "say \"" & aCharacter & "\”"

do shell script theCmd

end repeat

end tell

Dec 13, 2017 10:57 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Without the smart quote before Finder, or after speak, and without the Finder tell block or do shell script. 😉 It will pronounce umlaut if a diacritical character (e.g. ö, etc.) is encountered by casting each character to UTF8. Does not pronounce spaces, or punctuation in words though.

use scripting additions

set theTextToSpeak to text returned of (display dialog "What text do you want me to say?" default answer "text to speak.")

repeat with aCharacter in theTextToSpeak

sayaCharacter as «class utf8» using "Victoria" speaking rate 110 pitch 54 modulation 80

end repeat

return

TEXT TO SPEECH ONE LETTER AT A TIME

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.