Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move a file by drag and dropping

Just got a new MacBook Pro and am trying to move files from one folder to another (not copying) by drag and drop.

On my other MacBook I was able to do this by holding down the option key. Now holding the option key does nothing. It copies the file instead of moving it. Is there a setting I need to change?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:00 PM

If you want to drag and drop a file from one folder to another, just click the file you want and drag it to the location where you want it placed and release the trackpad. That will move the file from where it is to where you want.

Also, if I understand the option key part, I assume you mean you could push option to have the folders open up when you hovered over them with the file? Try clicking space without releasing the trackpad - that's what I do.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2017 7:00 PM in response to DC_ML

If you want to drag and drop a file from one folder to another, just click the file you want and drag it to the location where you want it placed and release the trackpad. That will move the file from where it is to where you want.

Also, if I understand the option key part, I assume you mean you could push option to have the folders open up when you hovered over them with the file? Try clicking space without releasing the trackpad - that's what I do.

Dec 11, 2017 7:06 PM in response to DC_ML

The default for drag and drop on the same drive has always been MOVE. The default for Drive-to-drive has always been COPY.

The option key is supposed to toggle those settings, and the Icon that moves with the pointer will change to reflect what is going to happen when you drop.

This has always been clear when using a Mouse, but with multi-finger trackpad gestures, it can get complicated in a hurry.

Dec 11, 2017 7:55 PM in response to DC_ML

Had to go into System Preferences- Accessibility- Keyboard- Keyboard Preferences- and select All Controls. Now when I drag a file from one folder to another (on the same drive) it moves the file. Cant use the Option key to make it copy (showing the little plus sign). So far it seems you can do one or the other, but not both.

How to move a file by drag and dropping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.