Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting projects on iMovie

I have many projects on iMovie that are taking up space. If I delete them, will it remove the videos in theater? I have saved the theater videos to iCloud if that helps.

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 5:35 PM

Good afternoon andrew.macbook,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are trying to free up space on your computer by deleting projects. Deleting a project will not delete the original video clips which are the files using up the space. You will need to delete the event instead. Although you have exported files to iMovie Theater, unless you are absolutely sure you will not need these original clips again, I would suggest moving your entire iMovie library to an external drive to free up space on your MacBook Pro.
Here are some resources to help you with this:
iMovie for Mac: Organize media and events
iMovie for Mac: Work with multiple libraries​
If you do decide to delete an event and the clips it contains, I would still test that the videos you have in iCloud play correctly before emptying the trash and permanently deleting the original files.
Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 5:35 PM in response to andrew.macbook

Good afternoon andrew.macbook,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are trying to free up space on your computer by deleting projects. Deleting a project will not delete the original video clips which are the files using up the space. You will need to delete the event instead. Although you have exported files to iMovie Theater, unless you are absolutely sure you will not need these original clips again, I would suggest moving your entire iMovie library to an external drive to free up space on your MacBook Pro.
Here are some resources to help you with this:
iMovie for Mac: Organize media and events
iMovie for Mac: Work with multiple libraries​
If you do decide to delete an event and the clips it contains, I would still test that the videos you have in iCloud play correctly before emptying the trash and permanently deleting the original files.
Take care.

Deleting projects on iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.