Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Who do I reinstall after SSD replace

Mac Pro Retina15” 2013 256g. Attempted to upgrade to High Seirra and my computer died. Tried everything black screen. I did get recovery to come up a few times ran repair but did’t find or fix anything. Purchased new SSD 480 g , took old one out and put in a catty and transferred my files to an external storage via another Mac air. Now how do I reinstall Operating system on my New SSD? Can I run some sort of backup/reinaller by accessing my old SSD which is connected to my Mac air in the catty? Any help is appreciated. Sorry if in wrong place working off iPhone.

User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 7:42 PM

5 replies

Dec 12, 2017 2:06 PM in response to Mac_attack_hack

Must be some other hardware issue. Some things to check:

use Apple Hardware Test

How to invoke and interpret the Apple hardware tests - CNET

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

See if you can boot into Safe Mode. Then try the Network Recovery again.

If you have no luck then it's time to make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple.

Dec 12, 2017 1:02 PM in response to Mac_attack_hack

Assuming the new SSD is installed.

Clean Install of El Capitan or Later on a Clean Disk

1. Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command-Option-Rkeys until a globe appears.
  2. The Utility Menu will appear in from 5-20 minutes. Be patient.
  3. Select Disk Utility and click on the Continue button.
  4. When Disk Utility loads select the physical drive (usually, the out-dented entry) from the side list.
  5. Click on the Erase tab in Disk Utility's main window. A panel will drop down.
  6. Set the partition scheme to GUID.
  7. Set the Format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)
  8. Click on the Apply button, then click on the Done button when it activates.
  9. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.
  10. Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

This should install the version of OS X that was currently installed. To install the original factory version when the computer was new use Command-Option-Shift-R.

Dec 12, 2017 3:40 AM in response to Kappy

Ok so I put the new blank SSD back into the old computer which had crashed and do this correct?

What would you suggest on what OS X to install?

High Sierra crashed my old SSD so not sure about it, honestly don't remember what I had on it before I tried to update just got tired of remember poping up and rolled the dice on update.

Thank you for the help as you can see I know enough to be dangerous is about it lol

Dec 12, 2017 1:01 PM in response to Kappy

Yea must be more serious......Put in new SSD in computer, no chime, spinning world globe internet recovery...asked for wifi password...then dead black screen before I was able to type. Death black screen and can't get it to do anything now. Every once in awhile I can get the screen to change shades and press and hold the command R and the globe comes back only to go back black once I let off the keys to type in wifi password. This is so much fun errr.

Who do I reinstall after SSD replace

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.