Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outdoor Cycling workout - Auto Paused

I have been testing the Apple Watch Workout app and it works fine with running and swimming in comparison to Garmin watch. However, the app keep on stopping by itself on the Outdoor Cycling mode. I have turned of Auto Paused mode.

My device is Apple Watch 2 with watchOS 4.2 and the iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2

The watch, I assume, is always connected by Bluetooth to my iPhone in cycling jersey back pocket. The max distance that I would have accumulated on the Watch is less than 10 km on a 40 km ride (I have my Garmin Edge, bike computer mounted on the bike).

From time to time, during a ride, I would have checked and found out that it has been on Auto Paused and I would have Resumes, but the next time I have look at it, it Paused again.

Does anyone experience similar thing??

What is the solution, if any

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 2:03 AM

Hi

The Auto Pause setting does not currently apply to cycling workouts.

With Wrist Detection and Passcode enabled, check that you are unlocking your Apple Watch after placing it on your wrist and that you are wearing your watch sufficiently snugly during your workouts.

Tracking can be affected if your Apple Watch loses contact with your skin, causing it to believe that it has been removed from your wrist. A loose fitting band can trigger this by allowing your watch to lift from your wrist and/or by allowing clothing (for example, the end of a sleeve) to slip beneath the back of the watch.

Better contact with your wrist may also improve heart rate sensor performance during your workout.

Apple suggests that you consider tightening the watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards.

User uploaded file

Sensor performance can also be affected by temporary or permanent changes to your skin, such as some wrist tattoos.

Workouts may also be paused or ended early due to accidental interactions with your watch's screen (including by clothing). To help prevent this, you can lock the screen during workouts (see the Workout app article below for instructions).

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 2:03 AM in response to CRJ275

Hi

The Auto Pause setting does not currently apply to cycling workouts.

With Wrist Detection and Passcode enabled, check that you are unlocking your Apple Watch after placing it on your wrist and that you are wearing your watch sufficiently snugly during your workouts.

Tracking can be affected if your Apple Watch loses contact with your skin, causing it to believe that it has been removed from your wrist. A loose fitting band can trigger this by allowing your watch to lift from your wrist and/or by allowing clothing (for example, the end of a sleeve) to slip beneath the back of the watch.

Better contact with your wrist may also improve heart rate sensor performance during your workout.

Apple suggests that you consider tightening the watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards.

User uploaded file

Sensor performance can also be affected by temporary or permanent changes to your skin, such as some wrist tattoos.

Workouts may also be paused or ended early due to accidental interactions with your watch's screen (including by clothing). To help prevent this, you can lock the screen during workouts (see the Workout app article below for instructions).

If you are concerned about a possible hardware defect with your Apple Watch, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Outdoor Cycling workout - Auto Paused

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.