Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos sort order

I thought I would finally take a look at the Photos app. I generally tend to stay clear of Apple software as I find it riddled with poor choices and limited flexibility. Never-the-less, a question.

I compiled an album in Lightroom. Renamed the images with a counter. Exported jpeg's to a folder and imported them into Photos where I created an album. Right clicked on the respective album and selected sort by name. Created an iCloud shared album and put all images there. Viewed them on Apple's iCloud with Safari. (Why in the world can't I use a finger touch to move the cursor on an iPad? Apple hardware, Apple software, Apple site. Crazy.)

Anyway, on my Mac, the Photos album, the iCloud shared album and the iCloud site viewed with Safari all had the images in a different order. Sort of chaos.

How do I create a shared album with sorting done by title? And will that sort order show up on iCloud when people view the album.

I'm trying to tell a story with images. I think that's sort of a normal thing people do. What am I missing?

Wow, took quite a while to wipe out some lines,,, one letter at a time, like watching grass grow. Anyway, no idea why it says Apple TV at the top, I'm using a last gen MBP running 10.11.6.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), null

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 8:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 8:50 AM

iCloud shared album and the iCloud site viewed with Safari

Shared albums on your Mac are sorted by the date you add a photo to the album. if you add several photos at once to a shared album the ordering will be unpredictable. To see a shared album sorted as you want it, you have to add the photos one-by-one, in the sequence you want. What do you mean by iCloud Site? The Photos.app at www.icloud.com, or the published shared album as a published web page?

The only way I found to make the published web page identical to the shared album in Photos for Mac was to wait, until al photos had been added, before I published it. And add all comments, the moment I share a photo. If I add comments later, the photo will change the position on the web page.

How do I create a shared album with sorting done by title?

Shared albums are essentially streams, the name "Album" is misleading. In previous versions of iOS and MacOS X they have been called Shared Photo Streams, and that was more fitting. They are meant to transfer single photos to the recipients and not to create online galleries. Typically, you drop a photo into the album, the recipient receives a notification, will add a comment, send another photo back. They are communication channels.

There is no tool too rearrange the photos in a shared album.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 8:50 AM in response to HR

iCloud shared album and the iCloud site viewed with Safari

Shared albums on your Mac are sorted by the date you add a photo to the album. if you add several photos at once to a shared album the ordering will be unpredictable. To see a shared album sorted as you want it, you have to add the photos one-by-one, in the sequence you want. What do you mean by iCloud Site? The Photos.app at www.icloud.com, or the published shared album as a published web page?

The only way I found to make the published web page identical to the shared album in Photos for Mac was to wait, until al photos had been added, before I published it. And add all comments, the moment I share a photo. If I add comments later, the photo will change the position on the web page.

How do I create a shared album with sorting done by title?

Shared albums are essentially streams, the name "Album" is misleading. In previous versions of iOS and MacOS X they have been called Shared Photo Streams, and that was more fitting. They are meant to transfer single photos to the recipients and not to create online galleries. Typically, you drop a photo into the album, the recipient receives a notification, will add a comment, send another photo back. They are communication channels.

There is no tool too rearrange the photos in a shared album.

Dec 11, 2017 9:29 PM in response to HR

Ok so you have no idea how Photos works and rather than learn how to use you want to make assumptions and have Apple meet your assumptions - any software you approach with this attitude is going to be incredibly frustrating to you - as is any TV or any car or any refrigerator - any modern device

the Photos view is sorted by photo date and time - so it icloud.com

Shared albums are sorted by date.time added to the photo stream not by anything else -- if that is not what you want then you need to choose a different product to use

LN

Dec 12, 2017 8:24 AM in response to LarryHN

I am learning, that's why I'm here. What I had already learned before I posted this is your response is not correct. Seems we both have learning to do.

The Photo's app and iCloud are not sorted by photo date and time. The Photos app on the Mac can be sorted by title as well. If you right click on the album folder you will see it there. Mine actually appears to default to that setting. So in my install at least, one would go have to look for your sort criteria. On iCloud it certainly does not sort by any manner of date or time. 2 of us were shooting Art Basel. The photos should have mirrored our movements, yet they do not, by quite a margin. Your shared album answer appears correct. I added shots at different intervals and those intervals appear to be what's determining sort order.

So we have 3 different ways to view photo's, all by Apple, all using the Photo app as the base and all showing a different sort order. Sorry, but that's frustrating. It's frustrating because it's a logical mess. I expected better from Apple.

Dec 12, 2017 8:32 AM in response to HR

You can not learn if you do not read

I correctly said

the Photos view is sorted by photo date and time - so it icloud.com

I did not say that all views were sported the same way -- in user albums there are three available sorts and other system albums have different sorts - I made one specific statement about one specific view and it is correct

LN

Dec 14, 2017 5:06 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Leonie. I've decided to not use Photos for shared albums. Your explanation is exactly what I'm seeing. Photo stream explains it. I can see where people have a use for something like that but it doesn't work for me. I'll keep looking for a simple replacement for my former on-line album site.

Photos sort order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.