Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 5 or 6, voice memo file memory capacity; voice to text apps

I'm using voice memo in my iphone and want to be assured that I won't run out of memory, especially during a recording session.

Model/SKU number: MGF02LL/A. Can't find an "A" number on back of housing-I think it's a 5c, but may be a 6. IOS 10.3.3; 5.23 GB, 1.63 GB available.

I've been uploading the voice files (up to one hour long) to my PC, then deleting them from the phone. What guidelines should I observe to maintain a cushion of memory? For example, do those deleted files stay in memory for a period of time? If so, can they be removed from the trash? Is there a way to monitor the available memory for voice memos? Is there a rule of thumb for minutes per MB?

At risk of putting 2 topics in a single message: any opinion on the best app for converting voice files to text?

iPhone 5s, iOS 10.3.3, 5.23 GB, 1.63 GB available

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 9:01 PM

1 reply

Dec 12, 2017 11:33 AM in response to awesomegeezer

Hello, awesomegeezer.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It's my understanding that you want to make sure you don't run out of storage space when recording voice memos. I may be able to help with this. You've already got a solid practice to make sure you don't run out of storage space by transferring them memos to your PC. You can use this link to identify the model of your iPhone: Identify your iPhone model

My best suggestion is making a note on your average length of the voice memo. For example, 1 hour. You have two options to view how much space that memo takes, you can transfer it to your PC and check the file size. Or you can check the file size by going to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Voice Memos. This method is the total amount of storage your voice memos take not by individual memos. If you have only the one voice memo saved currently, then it will show the size of that one memo. Doing this can help you pinpoint how much space is required for each memo that's 1 hour long.

To answer your second question, once the memo is deleted, it is deleted right away and not stored for a period of time like using the trashcan on a PC. To clarify on your third question, are you looking to convert your files that are already recorded or are you looking for a program like Speech to Text?

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

iphone 5 or 6, voice memo file memory capacity; voice to text apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.