Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I tried to use my 2005 eMac with OS X 10.4.11 tonight, but got a "Darwin/BSD login prompt" on a black screen.

tried to use my 2005 eMac with OS X 10.4.11 tonight, but got a "Darwin/BSD login prompt" on a black screen. I did a Google search & one response to this same inquiry said to try hold down the S key. Nothing really changed. It also suggested an Option and S key hold down. Still nothing really different other than some text that said something about a 5 minute delay. How can I get my once-reliable eMac up & running again? It does acknowledge being connected to a 100 MBS cable modem router. Any suggestions please?

eMac (ATI Graphics), Mac OS X (10.4.11), Year 2005

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 12:20 AM

1 reply

Dec 12, 2017 1:14 AM in response to BillT.

Usually the Mac won't start up by accident into Single User mode, but once there

instructions to reverse the process may be found in Apple support articles or help

in Help viewer in Mac OS X, or online. {Also, the hard drive may have defects; &

another item that goes bad is the 3.6V 1/2AA lithium clock battery.}

Here's the basics of accessing Single User mode. Careful use and knowing how to

key in the correct unix code to return access to normal GUI is important to know.

Start up your Mac in single-user mode or verbose mode - Apple ...

If you're an advanced user who is comfortable with UNIX, you can use single-user

mode or verbose mode to help isolate issues related to startup.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201573

Reset OS X Account With the Terminal In Single-User Mode

The last resort to reset an OS X account is via use of the Terminal Single User mode. ...

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:29 am. Comments are closed. Popular Posts.

User uploaded filehttps://www.maketecheasier.com/reset-os-x-account/

Repair Your Hard Disk in Single User Mode - Everything Mac

Repair Your Hard Disk in Single User Mode. ... single user mode: exit status 1 ...

I have an early Intel iMac running 10.4.11 and have both the white and blue screen ...

User uploaded fileeverythingmacintosh.com/tech-notes/repair-your-hard-

How to Repair a Mac Disk with fsck from Single User Mode

How to Repair a Mac Disk with fsck from Single User Mode ... (MacOS 10.3.9

10.4.11) ... (File system check exit code is 8, ...

User uploaded fileosxdaily.com/2013/08/07/how-to-repair-a-mac-disk-with-...

Exit instructions are a big part of getting out of single user, mentioned again here:

Change the Admin Password with Mac OS X Single User Mode

Change the Admin Password with Mac OS X Single User Mode ... you can exit out

of Single User Mode by typing exit or reboot. ... I am using OSX 10.4.11. Reply.

User uploaded fileosxdaily.com/2011/04/25/change-admin-password-mac/

Depending on if you're using a third-party keyboard, some had issue with conflicted

drivers in Macs of that vintage; a symptom of which was the Mac wouldn't go out

of Single-User mode. Once incorrect driver was removed and original drive installed

the system was able to be accessed by the keyboard to go in & out of Single User.

{A MacAlly USB keyboard & few other 3rd pty, may exhibit behavior as this, w/ 10.4.11.

But you've not indicated anything untoward occurred; so nebulous possibilities arise.}

In any event...

Good luck & happy trails! 🙂

I tried to use my 2005 eMac with OS X 10.4.11 tonight, but got a "Darwin/BSD login prompt" on a black screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.