Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage icon missing in menu bar under high Sierra 10.13.2

Hello all,

My MBP early 2015 has a problem of iMessage icon missing in menu bar after updating from macOS high Sierra 10.13.1 to 10.13.2. Please show me how to fix it.

Thanks,

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.1

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 11:11 PM

3 replies

Dec 12, 2017 1:00 PM in response to nvlinh

hi,

I have the Menu Bar icon on my version

User uploaded file

As you can see to the right, behind the edge of the chat area I have a Buddy List.

You need to be signed into a Buddy List (Only Jabber now) to then have the lower portion on the Messages Menu > Preferences > General Pane show up to be able to toggle the icon On and Off.

I initially tried to add Jabber from the item in the Messages Menu but this messes things up.

I did it there as in Sierra you had to Add the Google talk account in Messages before then ticking the Mail box in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

I had to remove Google from the Internet Accounts to eventually remove it from Messages - along with deleting com.apple.iChat.Jabber.plist

Then I added Google back (There is no Box for Messages to tick).

Instead Add A New Messages Account under Other account (scroll the right hand side down in Internet Accounts)

This added the GoogleTalk account properly with Buddy List and Access to Messaging, showing as an Account in Messages as well as Internet Accounts.

(I used Automatically find Server and Port).

User uploaded file

9:00 pm Tuesday; December 12, 2017

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Sierra)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone 6 iOS 11.x and an iPad (2)

Dec 12, 2017 4:24 AM in response to aldendiaz

Hi Alden,

It doesn't work as you recommended.

In fact, the Message requests to add an Jabber account, but the account always asks for a password (although I did enter the password and marked as being remembered in the keychain). The issue did not appear in previous version of High Sierra (10.13.1). It seems to be an error from the version 10.13.2.

Regards,

iMessage icon missing in menu bar under high Sierra 10.13.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.