Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone facing issues with tab and caps lock keys?

Hi All, I have MacBook Air (early 2015) and since I upgraded my OS to Sierra I face a problem with tab and caps lock buttons both at the same time, the two buttons are not working properly, sometimes they don't work at all, now I'm on High Sierra and the problem still persists.

When I reset the PRAM and the SMC everything works good but this doesn't last long and both buttons stop working again, I tried other solutions like disabling voice over and editing and reseting modifier keys but nothing works.

When it starts working after clearing the PRAM and SMC it also makes strange behaviors like caps lock needing to be pressed for some time to work and during this press the led blinks till it become stable, tab button also sometimes do two tab characters rather than the one I pressed.

Any idea what is this and how to fix it?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), null

Posted on Dec 11, 2017 11:53 PM

3 replies

Dec 12, 2017 1:03 PM in response to oafifi

Hello oafifi,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that your Tab and Caps Lock keys are not working as expected even after resetting the SMC and NVRAM. To help isolate the issue testing it while in safe mode and a new user account may be helpful. The following articles will provide you with the steps to test the issue while in safe mode and a new user account:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Please let us know how it goes so we can further assist you.

Best Regards.

Dec 16, 2017 7:03 PM in response to raina_b22

Hello becky_s22,

Thanks for the reply, I did what's in these articles but nothing works, I did hardware test and it didn't find any issues, the same behavior still exists, after reseting NVRAM it works with some inconsistent behavior and stops working after sometime.

Shall I go for a clean OS install or maybe try to downgrade to El Capitan ?

Best Regards.

Anyone facing issues with tab and caps lock keys?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.