Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Freezes Everything

Hi,

I have the latest base model version of the MacBook Pro, i.e. 13 inch with no touch bar, running the Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.2. I also have a WD "My Passport" 1TB portable hard drive. I've had this setup for about 8-9 months and most of the time it has been working pretty well.

The first couple of months I was daily plugging in the hard drive to work in photoshop, since I store my photos. on the drive. Now, however I don't really have time for that which means that I only plug in the hard drive every now and then to do a back-up. I understand how that means longer back-up times since there is a lot more data to back-up (last back-up was about 35gb), however it doesn't only take long time - the computer is essentially frozen while time machine is running simultaneously. I'm pretty much unable to do anything at all and if I leave the computer for a couple of minutes I'm also unable to unlock it when I return. The screen is completely black and I can't do anything but to force shut down. Furthermore, should I decide to pause/cancel the back-up I still can't eject the hard drive for some reason. When I try to eject it it says that I have to force it, which I don't really want to do either since I don't want to risk anything happening to the content on the hard drive. Thus, I have to shut down the computer, manually eject the hard drive and then restart.

With that said, I'm fine with longer back-up times but not being able to use the computer simultaneously make me feel like something is wrong. I used to be able to do some heavy work in photoshop and now I can't even scroll through a PDF in preview, I don't think the amount of data being backed should affect the computer that much.

Any ideas how this could be resolved?

Many Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 1:24 AM

There are no replies.

Time Machine Freezes Everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.