Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iWatch no longer controlling iPhone music

I just took the latest watch upgrade for my Series 2 & annoyingly it hasn't corrected the last "upgrade" that took away my ability to control my iPhone SEs music entirely from my iWatch. Since getting my iWatch back in July (apart from some nice workout icons) my iWatch has been progressively downgraded. The other big issue is the completely inaccurate calorie burn. When I first got the watch it was pretty accurate to my Polar HRM with chest strap. Since an upgrade around late August or early September the calorie burn consistently runs at about 3 times the accurate rate. I now burn 100 calories walking from the changing room to the swimming pool!

When can we expect fixes for these two significant issues?

Apple Watch Series 2, iOS 4.2

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 3:08 AM

Hi

I'm afraid that no-one here can tell you anything about Apple's unannounced plans in respect of Apple Watch (not "iWatch"). You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

Controlling iPhone music

Under watchOS 4.x, for controlling playback of music from your iPhone rather than the synced playlists on Apple Watch (for which Bluetooth headphones or a Bluetooth speaker are required), then - other than by using Siri - it is necessary to first start playback on your iPhone before being able to control playback on your Apple Watch.

When you are already playing supported audio on your iPhone (whether via the Music app or a third-party app), the Now Playing app is shown automatically in the Dock on your Apple Watch and can be used to control playback on your iPhone. However, unlike under prior versions of watchOS, those controls no longer include the ability to browse or select playlists via screen-based inputs.

Now Playing can be configured to be shown automatically on Apple Watch upon raising your wrist when playing supported media on your iPhone. This is the default setting. To turn this feature off or on:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Wake Screen > turn off Auto-Launch Audio Apps.

If desired, Now Playing can be added to the Dock permanently and/or added to a watch face as a complication.

Follow the instructions here:

If the Music and/or Now Playing apps do not offer all of the features that you would prefer, then you can submit a feature request to Apple here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Inaccurate calories

The following steps may help:

When recording specific fitness activities, be sure to use the Workout app and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Check your personal information:

• Calorie estimations depend, in part, on your personal information.
  • To check that this is accurate - and to update it over time:
    • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch correctly:

• For the best performance from the heart rate sensor - which is used continually during workouts, with readings used when estimating active calories burned - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist.
  • Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:
  • Sensor performance can be affected by skin changes, such as by some wrist tattoos.

Prior to calibrating your Apple Watch (see the next step), check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Calibrate your Apple Watch, resetting any existing calibration data and starting afresh:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

More information:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 3:08 AM in response to ATMP14

Hi

I'm afraid that no-one here can tell you anything about Apple's unannounced plans in respect of Apple Watch (not "iWatch"). You are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

Controlling iPhone music

Under watchOS 4.x, for controlling playback of music from your iPhone rather than the synced playlists on Apple Watch (for which Bluetooth headphones or a Bluetooth speaker are required), then - other than by using Siri - it is necessary to first start playback on your iPhone before being able to control playback on your Apple Watch.

When you are already playing supported audio on your iPhone (whether via the Music app or a third-party app), the Now Playing app is shown automatically in the Dock on your Apple Watch and can be used to control playback on your iPhone. However, unlike under prior versions of watchOS, those controls no longer include the ability to browse or select playlists via screen-based inputs.

Now Playing can be configured to be shown automatically on Apple Watch upon raising your wrist when playing supported media on your iPhone. This is the default setting. To turn this feature off or on:

On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Wake Screen > turn off Auto-Launch Audio Apps.

If desired, Now Playing can be added to the Dock permanently and/or added to a watch face as a complication.

Follow the instructions here:

If the Music and/or Now Playing apps do not offer all of the features that you would prefer, then you can submit a feature request to Apple here:

Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Inaccurate calories

The following steps may help:

When recording specific fitness activities, be sure to use the Workout app and to choose the activity type that most closely matches your workout:

If you have not yet done so, update your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Check your personal information:

• Calorie estimations depend, in part, on your personal information.
  • To check that this is accurate - and to update it over time:
    • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch correctly:

• For the best performance from the heart rate sensor - which is used continually during workouts, with readings used when estimating active calories burned - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) on the top of your wrist.
  • Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:
  • Sensor performance can be affected by skin changes, such as by some wrist tattoos.

Prior to calibrating your Apple Watch (see the next step), check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.

Calibrate your Apple Watch, resetting any existing calibration data and starting afresh:

If the issue persists, then I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

More information:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

iWatch no longer controlling iPhone music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.