Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Rule under Mail Preferences does not stay on?

I follow some of the Discussions here. In Mail (11.1) under Preferences, I have made a Rule so that the follow-up emails of the Discussions are directly received in a particular mailbox. Strangely for the last few days, all such emails go directly to Junk. I haven't changed anything in the Rule. What was the error, I wonder!

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13), iPhone 7+, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2017 5:23 AM

Hi SWAVI,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Community. I understand that you have a rule set up in Mail but instead of going to a certain folder, the messages are going to your Junk folder.

If your rule is no longer filtering messages properly, there may be another rule interfering. If you have multiple rules set up, they get applied in the order they're listed. A higher up rule may be taking precedence. I recommend to take a look at the following article which goes over this information as well as some other reasons why rules may not be followed.

Use rules to manage your email inbox
If your rule appears to be set up in the correct order and nothing else has changed with your mail server or inbox, then I recommend to remove the rule and set it back up and then test it. You can click on the rule in the Mail Preferences panel and select Delete. Then, follow the steps in the article above to re-create the rule and apply it to your messages.
Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2017 5:23 AM in response to SWAVI

Hi SWAVI,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Community. I understand that you have a rule set up in Mail but instead of going to a certain folder, the messages are going to your Junk folder.

If your rule is no longer filtering messages properly, there may be another rule interfering. If you have multiple rules set up, they get applied in the order they're listed. A higher up rule may be taking precedence. I recommend to take a look at the following article which goes over this information as well as some other reasons why rules may not be followed.

Use rules to manage your email inbox
If your rule appears to be set up in the correct order and nothing else has changed with your mail server or inbox, then I recommend to remove the rule and set it back up and then test it. You can click on the rule in the Mail Preferences panel and select Delete. Then, follow the steps in the article above to re-create the rule and apply it to your messages.
Cheers!

Dec 19, 2017 3:19 AM in response to brenden dv

Thanks brenden dv!

I confirmed that there were no other Rules. As suggested by you, I did 'remove' this particular Rule. Then recreated a fresh rule. Is there any time involved in the fresh Rule to take effect? Today also the emails coming from Apple Discussions are found going straight to Junk instead of my designated Folder. Let me watch one more week.

Why Rule under Mail Preferences does not stay on?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.