Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full screen external monitor + retina on MBP mid 2014 High Sierra

Hi everybody, I have just updated my OS from El Capitan to High Sierra on a Macbook Pro 15" mid 2014, and when I set any app in full screen view on my connected external monitor (Eizo CS2420 via mini display port) the MBP Retina display goes totally black and looks unusable.

Does anybody know how to set preferences in order to use both Retina and external display in full screen mode?

Thank you

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 1:39 AM

3 replies

Dec 12, 2017 2:27 PM in response to bergamar

Hello EliKenya-Rose,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble with your external monitor, and I have some information that may help.

Have a look at the article below for some helpful troubleshooting steps.

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, or if the symptoms persist, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Dec 13, 2017 7:51 AM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy,

it seems to be an OS issue more than a "real problem",

I mean there's nothing wrong with both my macbook and my external monitor,

it seems more like an OS "bug" that happens every time I watch an app in fullscreen mode,

which makes the other monitor go black (it happens with both integrated retina and the external one, according to where this app is sent full screen at that moment), and by "black" i don't mean completely inactive or disconnected, but active and well working just for my cursor on a black background, so that if I move one element of the full screen app from its actual monitor to the other (like for example a single browser tab) the second monitor can show this tab well, but again sends the other monitor black, something like "you can't have 2 monitor displaying apps at the same moment if one of these is watched in full screen mode".

The only exception is given by Youtube fullscreen mode, this is the only way it can work for me so far... but if i send in fullcreen the browser instead of the single youtube video, it goes as described here above (makes the other monitor black)

Full screen external monitor + retina on MBP mid 2014 High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.