Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes won't play most of my songs

Okay I updated to the latest version 12.7.2 this week and now when I try to play songs, most but not all will just not play, like it goes to the end of the song when I click play and then goes to the next one.

It's not just in my songs library either but in the itunes browse section too; but not the itunes store (i just checked and the song playing works there).

I don't have quick time so I know it's not that and the songs work fine on my iphone. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling itunes with no help. It worked just fine with the previous version so i'm not sure what happened.

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 2:53 AM

5 replies

Dec 12, 2017 4:18 AM in response to Alcy0ne

If they show with an exclamation mark in the songs view after you attempt to play then see Re: Locating all files with !

Otherwise use Edit > Preferences > Playback and look at the entry for Play Audio Using. This will normally be set to either Direct Sound or Windows Audio Session. Changing the setting may help. If not change back to the original value and try once more. Failing that see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates and in particular the second box for a full tear down and rebuild.

tt2

Dec 13, 2017 11:17 AM in response to turingtest2

Tried all of the suggestions and no luck. None of them have a ! after them. When I try to play them the blue progress bar is at the end of the song and it skips to the next song until it finds one it will play. Also it's pretty random since I just noticed it will not always play songs from the same album.

It wouldn't bother me but sometimes when I want a song I find different versions of it by the same artist in the Browse section of Itunes so I tend to press play to know which version I'm looking for before I add it to my library. Now I can't do that. It's kinda frustrating.

itunes won't play most of my songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.