Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 Macbook Pro constantly shutting down

I have a Macbook Retina Pro that suddenly started shutting down on me. It does so regardless of what application I am on and whether it is plugged in or on battery. It never goes to sleep or restarts, but just does a straight crash shut down. It starts out doing pretty well if I have had the computer shut down for an extended period of time - over several hours. Then, when it's turned on, it lasts about 20-30 minutes before it's first crash. Subsequent turning on lends to the laptop shutting down consecutively faster until it is shutting down regularly within 5min.

At first I thought it was a Chrome problem - because half of the time it would crash and wipe out several logins on different sites I was on. Not wiping out the cookies or cache, but just basically logging me out of sites such as gmail, facebook, and amazon. But I have completely uninstalled Chrome including system logs and it still crashes. I have currently been using Firefox in the interim, and it still shuts down. However, haven’t yet had an instance where it logs me out of websites.

The only time it lasts longer is if I am on a Skype video call. I cannot find anything else that will keep it from shutting down so far. I was thinking from that, that maybe if I had high performance software running, it would not shut down. But it does so still if I have Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop open.

Sometimes it shuts down loading a webpage. Sometimes it shuts down while staring at my screen. Sometimes it shuts down while on a Microsoft Office application. It is not picky to what it shuts down on.

My battery seems fine, as it can go through dozens of these shut downs as well as running smoothly for those initial 30 or so minutes of uninterrupted time, and though it seems to take a hit to the battery (dropping it 3-5%), it runs fine and isn’t suddenly jumping to 10% or anything like that. The cycles are also relatively low, and I am not getting any warnings for it to be replaced.

I have already done a PRAM and a SMC with no results.

The shut down seems so fast, that they are also not seemingly reporting much to the Console in the logs stored there.

Sometimes it goes to a black screen and you can still hear the computer running hard before it completely shuts down, and other times it just goes straight to shut down with the whirring dying immediately. Again, happens both ways regardless of what I am doing.

I do not want to do a full reboot on the computer because I have the whole Adobe Creative Suite CS6 on there, and cannot afford to rebuy it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 1:51 AM

1 reply

Dec 12, 2017 2:29 PM in response to firexlight

Hello firexlight,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. I understand you've had some trouble with your Mac shutting down unexpectedly, and I have some information that may help.

You've done some great troubleshooting so far, but if the issue persists, have a look at the article below for some helpful troubleshooting steps. It covers restarting, but should also help with unexpected shut downs.

OS X: When your computer spontaneously restarts or displays "Your computer restarted because of a problem." - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, or if the symptoms persist, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

2014 Macbook Pro constantly shutting down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.