Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of "Apple ID Verification" that continues to appear on my screen?

I am told not to sign in until my router hacking problem is dealt with properly by Norton and my cable carrier. I can't use my iPad while this annoying pop-up window keeps appearing. How do I rid myself of it.

mac pro, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 3:39 AM

1 reply

Dec 12, 2017 11:29 PM in response to codyjarrett

I’ll try to help although your situation isn’t clear. Concerning your iPad, doesn’t the “Verification” box have a “Later” choice? If it does, use it although the box may appear a few times. If it does not have a “Later” choice, I’m stumped.

Concerning your router: When you look at the line connections in the back can you tell which is the telephone line?

If there’s no telephone line can you figure out which connection goes into the wall?

Is there an Ethernet connection point on the router? Have you got an Ethernet Crossover cable?

Are you able to see an on/off switch on the router? Are you able to see a “Reset” button or hole on the router?

Can you see a sticker or molded in place with “Settings” which would have the “User name” and “Address”?

1) If you have an Ethernet Crossover cable and you can disconnect the router from the wall go on to the next step.

2) Plug the Ethernet Crossover cable into your computer and the router

3) On your computer, go to System Preferences then find and click on Network. Select Ethernet and deselect the other choices like “Wireless”.

4) Open Safari and type http://192.192.1.1 into the URL bar. Press Enter or Return. The numbers 192.192.1.1 are probably the Settings Address imprinted on your router.

5) If you’re into the router and it asks for the “User Name” and/or password type in “admin” which is probably the default password. If you’re unable to get into your router find the “Reset” button and press it. If there’s a “Reset” “hole” find a paperclip and partially unbend it. Gently push the paperclip end into the “Reset” “hole”. DON”T PUSH TOO HARD. You’ll probably feel an internal button “click”. Remove the paperclip. You may have to turn the router off, count to 30 then turn the router back on.

6) Find where you can opt for WPA or WPA2. Choose WPA2 partly because it gives you opportunity to choose a longer and more complex password.

7) Think of a “password” with at least 15 characters and write it down on a piece of paper you’re not going to lose. The “password” must have numbers and lowercase letters and uppercase letters and symbols. It should look something like this: 7pqz$^BK Again, it should have between 15 to 40 characters. Do not use anyone’s name or Social Security Number, telephone number or driver’s license number. When you find the place for a password, change it from “admin” to whatever you wrote on the paper.

You may change the router’s name from whatever it is to whatever you like. Codyville or Maggie’s Farm or 77 Sunset Strip are a few examples. What ever you choose as a name is what’s going to be broadcast. Yes, your router is like a mini radio station just like your computer and iPad.

8) On your computer go back to System Preferences and Network. Deselect Ethernet and reselect Wireless.

9) Back-up your computer with Time Machine, which is also in System Preferences.

10) Remove the Ethernet cable and turn on your computer’s wireless.

11) Find your router’s name, select it and type in your new long and complicated password. Once it connects, go immediately to App Store and click on updates. Select all updates except Remote Access. Don’t enable Remote Access unless you have to use it for work or some other VERY GOOD REASON. After all the selected updates take place, which could require an hour, you should be in pretty good shape.

12) Consider uninstalling Norton, it’s probably useless to you. Do another Time Machine back-up.

13) Stay away from Adware and any pop-up or e-mail that tells you have a virus. DO NOT click on those ads, turn off Airport and close that page. Move your cursor to the Safari Name on the upper left and select clear all history for the last hour. Then you may turn Airport back on and continue brousing.

14) Go to icloud.com Sign-in, hopefully you remember your user name (usually your e-mail address) and password. Once you’re into your iCloud account you can disable “double verification” if it’s confusing to you.

Good luck

How do I get rid of "Apple ID Verification" that continues to appear on my screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.