Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost "Preview" as default image viewer

I'm running an updated version of El Capitan on

a 6-year old iMac. Lots of RAM & disk space.

My file associations keep changing on every bootup,

so instead of "Preview" opening my desktop JPG's,

Adobe Illustrator attempts to boot up, which is long

and laborious (and unwanted).

I change the default app back to Preview (in the

images's "info" pane), but on the next bootup

it's back to Illustrator.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to stop this

from happening.

OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 2:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 3:38 AM

When you are selecting Preview as your default image viewer are you clicking on 'Change All' so that Preview will open all files of type jpeg.

Next up it could be a corrupt preference file. So in Finder, click on Go in the menubar, click on Go To Folder and enter this text ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, click Go. A Finder window will open up with the file highlighted. move this file to the Trash, don't empty the trash. Restart your mac, open the info for a jpeg image, select Preview as the default app to open it and click on Change All. Now restart you mac again and see if these settings have stuck.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 3:38 AM in response to Inscapes

When you are selecting Preview as your default image viewer are you clicking on 'Change All' so that Preview will open all files of type jpeg.

Next up it could be a corrupt preference file. So in Finder, click on Go in the menubar, click on Go To Folder and enter this text ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, click Go. A Finder window will open up with the file highlighted. move this file to the Trash, don't empty the trash. Restart your mac, open the info for a jpeg image, select Preview as the default app to open it and click on Change All. Now restart you mac again and see if these settings have stuck.

lost "Preview" as default image viewer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.