Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rebooting

hi, i've recently bought a new mac and i've been transferring across, i was in a bit of a mess getting mixed up, i had the two mac's on one account so i de-authorised my old mac, now i need to set it back up again for my niece to use but i can't get it going, the start up screen isn't showing the hard disk to select, and when i select reinstall it says the hard disk is locked. hope you can help. thanks ann

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 4:33 AM

4 replies

Dec 12, 2017 7:56 AM in response to mp001

I assume the iMac in your equipment profile is the new one?? If so, please share with us the model and sub-model of the older computer, and what OS version is it running. That can make a difference in troubleshooting recommendations.

In "model and sub-model," the model is the broad group like "iMac," "Mac Pro," "PowerBook," etc. Sub-model is the info following the model name in most version of "About this Mac. For example, my iMac:

User uploaded file

shows its sub-model in parentheses after 'iMac." It is "27-inch, Mid 2010." For iMacs the sub-model is hugley important because iMacs have been in continuous production since 1998 in four broad families. We have "senior" contributors here who were not born when the iMac was first sold!

Dec 13, 2017 8:07 AM in response to mp001

Is it this thread?

removing icloud

I don't any equipment details other than the same profile shown in this thread.

If the computer won't start you can look on the bottom of the stand's "foot" to find the serial number, then enter it here to have it translated into a model and sub-model:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If I enter my iMac's serial number, that support page returns this:

User uploaded file

Please note that I have redacted the serial number in the post. The Hosts don't want people posting serial numbers, presumably for security reasons.

Dec 12, 2017 8:08 AM in response to mp001

hi Alan, ok I will provide this for you as soon as I can, I'm trying to find on here in my older discussions that I'd posted regarding my old Mac, just to see if the model details are there, it was around 2010 when I bought it, it was similar to the one I have now. thanks for your time. ann

rebooting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.