Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong icons and OSX doesnt know what program to use to open files with

Hello, I have two problems

1.)

since updating to High Sierra my Dock and Desktop icons sometimes dont show the right one. Instead I get the default one with the paper, ruler and pencile. That is very anoying since it occurs on almost half of them and then you have to hover with your mouse over them to know, what program you want to find.

Restarting didnt work, and reinitializing the dock didnt work either

2.)

the second thing is, that the os forgets which files (for instance jpg) open with which program. It doesn't show any program at all and I have always to chose the program by hand.

setting the program in the information for the filetype only works for some time.

Thanks for your help.

Oskar

Mac Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 6:37 AM

You could try downloading and then installing this, macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update it will reset some system files caches and may help with the icon problem.

Default app opener may be a corrupt preference file. So in Finder, click on Go in the menubar, click on Go To Folder and enter this text ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, click Go. A Finder window will open up with the file highlighted. move this file to the Trash, don't empty the trash. Restart your mac, open the info for a jpeg image, select Preview as the default app to open it and click on Change All. Now restart you mac again and see if these settings have stuck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 6:37 AM in response to osslord

You could try downloading and then installing this, macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Combo Update it will reset some system files caches and may help with the icon problem.

Default app opener may be a corrupt preference file. So in Finder, click on Go in the menubar, click on Go To Folder and enter this text ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist, click Go. A Finder window will open up with the file highlighted. move this file to the Trash, don't empty the trash. Restart your mac, open the info for a jpeg image, select Preview as the default app to open it and click on Change All. Now restart you mac again and see if these settings have stuck.

wrong icons and OSX doesnt know what program to use to open files with

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.