Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No entry

I turn on my MacBook Pro 13". iOS 11.1.2 and I get a " No Entry " sign

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 11.1.2

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 3:54 AM

4 replies

Jan 13, 2018 7:17 AM in response to HangingLake

MacBook pro running 10.7 or later have Recovery (a minimal special-purpose Utilities-only system) on the boot drive, separate from the main MacOS partition (the one that will now not start properly). Recovery can also download and re-install MacOS from the Internet.

Hold down Command-R at Startup to activate.

Macbook Pro after about 2011 have Internet Recovery in their ROM, and can download Disk Utility and the other Utilities. They can also download and re-install MacOS from the Internet.

Hold down Command-Option-R at Startup to activate. You will see the spinning globe for a while, as it downloads stuff.

This article has just been re-written to include all the newest features in MacOS 10.12 and later. It is reasonably accurate, but some features work slightly differently in older versions:

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Dec 13, 2017 2:44 PM in response to vinyorke

That "prohibitory sign" tells you crucial parts of MacOS are damaged, and starting up in the usual way will be impossible.

If you DO have a Trusted Backup, and are confident that your drive is working properly, you can do a re-install-in-place. This re-writes over 350,000 files, but does not bulk-erase anything outside of System Directories. By design, your files and your added Applications are not touched.

if you do not trust your drive, or do NOT have a Trusted Backup, that drive has your only copy of important files. Do not change it. Instead, obtain a drive that could be used as a replacement for your current drive, and an external enclosure or adapter to hold it while you Install MacOS from scratch. When you are confident it is working properly, you can attempt to rescue your files, using the full capabilities of MacOS and possibly other utilities if needed.

No entry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.