Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I open fcp7 project files in fcpx without xml?

Howdy good people!

I've just upgraded my El Cap to High Sierra. However, I didn't foresee one issue - fcp7 is not supported, and I have several unfinished projects in that format, which I didn't export to xml (as I should have, had I thought about checking the compatibility issue beforehand). 😟

My question is - if I get a compatible version of fcpx - is there a way to open the fcp7 project files in it? (again - not xml versions - straight fcp7 project files)

If there's a way - please help me out here. I would really hate to erase my HD and reinstall el cap only for this purpose...

Thanks!!!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 27 Late 2015 iMac, 2TB

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 4:15 AM

You do NOT need to erase your drive, but you DO need to have an installation of El Cap or other OS earlier than HS.

And yes, you DO need to export XML from FCP7, and use the SendToX application to convert it to a format compatible with FCP X.

You should get an external drive, install El Cap and FCP 7 on it, and export.

Oh, and by the way, you may want to keep that installation around, so in case of need you can boot your mac from it and still run FCP7.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 4:15 AM in response to dndn

You do NOT need to erase your drive, but you DO need to have an installation of El Cap or other OS earlier than HS.

And yes, you DO need to export XML from FCP7, and use the SendToX application to convert it to a format compatible with FCP X.

You should get an external drive, install El Cap and FCP 7 on it, and export.

Oh, and by the way, you may want to keep that installation around, so in case of need you can boot your mac from it and still run FCP7.

Dec 12, 2017 6:03 AM in response to dndn

Don't get me wrong, but the fact that FCP7 does not work in High Sierra is well known by now.Many technologies are introduced and many deprecated version after version of an OS. One can't really expect a program to remain working without any updates forever.

Since FCP7 is a program that was last updated some eight years ago and eol'd six and half years ago, the writing was clearly on the wall. It has "miraculously" been working up until HS, I'd say. And Apple clearly said it wouldn't work, right up front:

About Apple Pro Apps and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

Dec 12, 2017 5:48 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks! - I marked "solved" because my question was answered, though it wasn't really solved....

But that's not your fault. I may as well save the money and clean install El Cap, export the XML files and upgrade back to Sierra... It's not the end of the world. Just a big fat hassle.

I just wish new software would be more friendly to it's former versions.

Thanks anyway 🙂

can I open fcp7 project files in fcpx without xml?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.