Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I unlock an iPad which I own, but for which I do not have Apple ID and cannot access Apple ID?

How do I unlock an iPad which I own, but for which I do not have its Apple ID and cannot access its Apple ID?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 4:34 AM

9 replies

Dec 15, 2017 8:56 AM in response to howardfromplantation

If you are trying to activate an iPad or iPhone and it is asking for a previous owners Apple ID and password, you have encountered the Activation Lock. This is a security feature that prevents thieves from setting up and using a stolen or lost iPad or iPhone. You have no alternative. You must contact the previous owner to get permission to use the device. If you cannot contact the previous owner return the device to where you bought it and get a refund. You will never be able to activate the device and no one can help you do it.

Dec 16, 2017 9:34 AM in response to howardfromplantation

If these devices were given to you, then you should have had to set them up. If that is the case, then you would have had to create an Apple ID to do it. If they were already setup for you, then the company/person that provided them to you would have had to set them up with an Apple ID. I would check with them if they were the ones that set them up.

How do I unlock an iPad which I own, but for which I do not have Apple ID and cannot access Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.