Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi Network Naming for 2.4GHz and 5GHz band?

Is it okay to use the same wi-fi name for both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz band?

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 5:38 AM

3 replies

Dec 12, 2017 12:39 PM in response to th3sp3ck

It is OK.. the idea is the wifi client will pick whichever signal is strongest.. hence it will connect to the fastest only when in the same room as the airport. 5ghz wireless has poorer wall penetration and so after a couple of walls will be far below the signal of the 2.4ghz.

However I am with JimmyCMPIT .. I prefer to control things to a greater degree.. because even with less signal, 5ghz is often faster and has less interference.

By Default your Apple Airport will use the same name for both bands. If you do change it you may have more issues when using some clients like iphone or ipad you are carrying around with you.

Dec 12, 2017 1:06 PM in response to th3sp3ck

Is it okay to use the same wi-fi name for both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz band?

Yes, this is Apple's default setting for the AirPort routers.....because it makes things much simpler for most users. The theory with this setting is that devices will automatically choose the best signal with which to connect. That might be why Apple uses this as the default setting.

I've used this setting for years with no issues at all.

Some users swear that using different names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands gives them better results, and they can make a good argument for this. If you don't mind manually changing networks depending on where your wireless device is located, you could try things out to see if the reward equals the effort and hassle of doing this.

But, most users will get better results with a lot less effort if they use Apple's default setting.

Wi-Fi Network Naming for 2.4GHz and 5GHz band?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.