Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help get AVCHD into Photos

I know its been asked before and discussed, but I was hoping Apple would have caught up with most features they took away when going from iPhoto to Photos for Mac, in regard to importing AVCHD from my digital cam. yes I have already asked and emailed to Apple requests numerous times, after every MacOS upgrade and Photos upgrade...

How should I import AVCHD into Photos for Mac please? I have MacOS v10.13.2 and Photos for Mac v3. Is the only way to use an external converter?

What do people do now? It may not be that popular a format, but there is lots of users with this, and lots who could when iPhoto was out easily.

I'm not too bothered on editing them yet just want to get them into Photos so they are stored safe as I use iCloud Photo library.

thanks

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), 21.5", Late 2012, 2.9 GHz i5, 8Gb

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2018 3:00 PM

Here's an Apple document on importing AVCHD files into iPhotos. I may have some info that might work for Photos.

Using AVCHD video with iPhoto '11 - Apple Support

It's been mentioned a number of times in these forums that AVCHD files are primarily for those who plan on doing a lot of editing of videos and, thus should really import into iMovie. If you don't plan on heave video editing one should use the more compatible formats available on the camera or iPhone.

One member mentioned that they used iVI, iVI 4 on the Mac App Store, to convert the movies and import into iPhoto, Photos, etc.

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2018 3:00 PM in response to QwertyMan11

Here's an Apple document on importing AVCHD files into iPhotos. I may have some info that might work for Photos.

Using AVCHD video with iPhoto '11 - Apple Support

It's been mentioned a number of times in these forums that AVCHD files are primarily for those who plan on doing a lot of editing of videos and, thus should really import into iMovie. If you don't plan on heave video editing one should use the more compatible formats available on the camera or iPhone.

One member mentioned that they used iVI, iVI 4 on the Mac App Store, to convert the movies and import into iPhoto, Photos, etc.

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2018 2:28 PM in response to QwertyMan11

A client just called me with this same issue, newly introduced after she upgraded to High Sierra. She used to be able to import AVCHD video directly into Photos. So today we tinkered around and discovered that we could use iMovie HD to import these videos instead. Then selected them in iMovie HD, chose "Show in Finder" from the menus, and then dragged those .mov video files into Photos. It's a bit of a pain, not as easy as it was before, but at least it works.

Please help get AVCHD into Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.