Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using backup on New MacBook Pro that has old OS

I just bought a new MacBook Pro. I backed up my old one, and when I went to install on the new, it said my backup is from a computer with a new OS. So instead I set up my new computer as "new" and updated the new OS.

How do I put the backup on the new computer?

Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 5:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2017 2:03 PM

Hey. It sounds like your old Mac was running a newer macOS version than your new Mac. That can happen when a Mac is boxed at the manufacturing plant before a new update comes out, but isn’t sold until after.

Go into the Mac App Store on your new computer and update the macOS, then try restoring your backup again using Migration Assistant. Good luck!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2017 2:03 PM in response to rjevans12

Hey. It sounds like your old Mac was running a newer macOS version than your new Mac. That can happen when a Mac is boxed at the manufacturing plant before a new update comes out, but isn’t sold until after.

Go into the Mac App Store on your new computer and update the macOS, then try restoring your backup again using Migration Assistant. Good luck!

Using backup on New MacBook Pro that has old OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.