Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop auto fill in of email address on outgoing message

I am having a problem I have tried unsuccessfully to solve. Every time I compose an email message, the mail does not allow me to fill in a new email address if one in my contacts begins with the same or similar letters. I need to stop the automatic fill-in of the email address. Please help!!! It is making me not want to use the mail app any more.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 5:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2017 6:03 PM

Hey rich1mad2,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to compose an email but if the address starts with the same letter as a contact it will auto-populate the field. There is a list of name and contacts that mail uses to auto-populate the addresses. You can remove the names from the Previous Recipients list and they will no longer auto-populate.

1. Choose Window > Previous Recipients.

2. Do any of the following:

• Sort the list: Click a column header.

• Search for a name: Enter the name in the search field.

• Remove a name from the list: Select one or more names, then click Remove From List.

• Show a name in Contacts: Double-click any name that’s preceded by a card icon.

• Add a name to Contacts: Select a name, then click Add to Contacts.

Delete old email addresses

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2017 6:03 PM in response to rich1mad2

Hey rich1mad2,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to compose an email but if the address starts with the same letter as a contact it will auto-populate the field. There is a list of name and contacts that mail uses to auto-populate the addresses. You can remove the names from the Previous Recipients list and they will no longer auto-populate.

1. Choose Window > Previous Recipients.

2. Do any of the following:

• Sort the list: Click a column header.

• Search for a name: Enter the name in the search field.

• Remove a name from the list: Select one or more names, then click Remove From List.

• Show a name in Contacts: Double-click any name that’s preceded by a card icon.

• Add a name to Contacts: Select a name, then click Add to Contacts.

Delete old email addresses

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Have a good one.

How to stop auto fill in of email address on outgoing message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.